1814 – Prairie du Chien Fort Dedicated

On this date was dedicated in Prairie du Chien. During the , Missouri governor William Clark recognized the location’s strategic importance and sent approximately 150 soldiers to build the fort. The fort did not remain in American hands for long; British troops with the assistance of 400 Indians took the fort on July 20th and renamed it Fort McKay. After the end of the war, the British burned the fort, but the Americans constructed another building at the site in 1816 and named it .[Source: edited by Sarah Davis McBride]