1847 – First Milwaukee Meeting for Organized Charities Held

On this date the first meeting in Milwaukee for organized charities was held at a schoolhouse on the corner of Jefferson and Mason streets. Mrs. William Pitt Lynde presided over the assembled group, which resolved to form a benevolent society to benefit the poor and destitute. The society was maintained by subscriptions and donations, and promoted philanthopic activities in Milwaukee. [Source: , vol. II, p.263]