1878 – Perpetual Praying Begins in La Crosse

On this date the Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration began their perpetual adoration of the eucharist. Tag-team continuous prayer of praise, thanksgiving, and petition keeps at least two sisters at the altar, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The order was founded by members of the Third Order Secular Franciscans who left Ettenbeuren, Bavaria in 1849 to do missionary work in America. Bishop Martin Henni of Milwaukee welcomed them into his diocese. In 1868 a new diocese was formed in La Crosse. In 1871 sisters built a new motherhouse, St. Rose Convent, in La Crosse. The sisters assumed the title, Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration, on August 1, 1878. As the group points out, “At 126 years and counting, the Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration have been praying nonstop longer than anyone in the United States.” [Source: by Jerome Pohlen, p.45]