1880 – First Post Office Built in Cable

On this date Hans N. Amble became the first postmaster in Cable, Wisconsin. Four years later, Mrs. Aida Giles became the the postmistress of the Cable post office. Cable’s post office was originally known as the Gunderson post office, named after Lars Gunderson, a postmaster in nearby Cumberland. Cable’s post office was only the second established in Bayfield County, after the Bayfield post office. [Source: by Tony Woiak, p.18]