1885 – Milwaukee State Normal School Founded

On this date the Milwaukee State Normal School was founded. The school began granting degrees in 1927 and changed its name to Milwaukee State Teachers College and in 1951 became known as Wisconsin State College. Eventually the college merged with the University of Wisconsin’s Milwaukee Extension Center to become the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee in 1955. [Source: edited by Sarah Davis McBride, p. 20]