1895 – First Library in Oshkosh

On this date a free public library for Oshkosh was approved by referendum. The library was opened in a room in City Hall on April 1, 1896. A permanent structure was to be built using a combination of private and public funds. The estate of Mr. Marshall Harris, a prominent Oshkosh lumberman, and his wife provided the major gift of $75,000. His widow, Abbie Danforth Harris, who died in 1895, used her will to create a trust fund for library construction and operation. [Source: ]