1902 – Construction Begins on Janesville Library

On this date, work commenced on the Janesville Public Library at 64 South Main Street. A $30,000 grant from Andrew Carnegie provided most of the money for the new building, which was one of sixty-four Carnegie libraries built in Wisconsin shortly after the turn-of-the-century. The city bought the building site for $17,000, and F.S. Eldred donated $10,000 for the children’s library room. John P. Cullen & Bro. was awarded the construction contract for this project. [Source: ]