1926 – Milwaukee County Airport Approved

On this date Milwaukee County approved the purchase of a new airfield, abandoning the small Butler Airport. The land was owned by Thomas Hamilton, a local aviator who operated a propeller manufacturing business and small airport. The , the Hirschbuehl Farmhouse, opened on the Hamilton Airport site in July of 1927. Between 1938 and 1940, a new two-story terminal building was constructed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA). In 1941 the airport was renamed to honor Milwaukee aviator, General William "Billy" Mitchell. [Source: ]