1941 – Badger Army Ammunition Plant Established

On this date the Badger Army Ammunition Plant was established on 7,354 acres of land in Sauk County, near Baraboo. Employment reached an historic high of near 7,500 during World War II. The plant operated intermittently over a 33-year period to produce single and double-base propellant for cannon, rocket, and small arms ammunition. Plant operation was terminated in March 1975 and all production facilities and many support functions were placed on standby status, which continued until 1998. [Source: ]