On Friday September 23, 2016 at 5:47 a.m. the Racine Fire Department and Racine Police Department responded to a house fire at 1721 Kentucky Street. Fire crews arrived to find a small fire in an upstairs bedroom already extinguished. The occupant heard a smoke alarm sounding and quickly used a fire extinguisher to put out the fire in his child’s bedroom. A child on scene admitted to using a lighter which caused this fire. No one was injured as a result of this fire. After the investigation the occupants were allowed to return to the home. There was an estimated $500 in damages.