Kenosha baby given vodka in formula ruled accidental

kpdFrom the Kenosha Police Department

On September 7, 2015 at approximately 1948 hours, officers from the Kenosha Police Department responded to 5305-52 Street in reference to a trouble unknown call. Upon arrival, officers encountered several people involved in an altercation. During the initial investigation, officers learned that a 1 ½ month old girl accidentally ingested 2 ounces of vodka. Apparently, the child’s mother put a water bottle on the counter to be mixed with formula. The mother left the room, and the child’s father, 22 year old Brian M. Smith, emptied the bottle and filled it with vodka intending to take it with him to a friend’s house. The father did not leave immediately, and the child’s mother prepared formula using the liquid from the bottle.

After a while, the parents noticed that the child was not behaving normally. After speaking with each other, they realized that the infant formula was mixed with vodka rather than water. The parents argued about whose fault it was that their child was given vodka. The argument turned physical, and other family members arrived at the residence. During the altercation, the child’s father choked the child’s mother, battered another family member, and resisted Police Officers as they attempted to place him under arrest. He was arrested and held in jail on the following charges:
1 count of Suffocation/Strangulation
2 counts of Battery Domestic Abuse
1 count of Resisting Arrest
1 count of Disorderly Conduct

When officers learned that the child ingested vodka, rescue was summoned and the child was transported to Aurora Hospital. Preliminary tests were done, and it was learned that the child’s blood alcohol level was .294. The child was transported to Children’s Hospital in Milwaukee and is expected to be released today.

The Kenosha Police Detective Bureau investigated the incident and concluded that there were a series of
events that led to the child being given the vodka by mistake.

Share