Man charged with attempted homicide after shooting up relatives house


Jamar Edwards

Jamar Edwards

Jamar Edwards, 23 of Racine has been charged with attempted 1st-Degree Intentional Homicide, Endanger Safety/Reckless Use of Firearm, 2nd-Degree Recklessly Endangering Safety, Vehicle Operator Flee/Elude Officer, Possess w/Intent-THC (<=200 grams) and Carry Concealed Weapon. He made his initial appearance Wednesday afternoon in Racine Circuit Court and was given a $100,000 cash bond. His preliminary hearing is scheduled for December 2,2015.


According to the criminal complaint on November 23rd, members of the Racine Police Department were dispatched to the 1300 block of Russet Street reference a shots fired call.


Upon arrival officers discovered empty 9mm shell casings laying in the driveway and noted that the house had been struck numerous times by shots fired. A double sliding glass door in the rear of the home had been shattered by projectiles and there were holes in the siding.


Police spoke with the victim who stated that the defendant had shot up her home. She stated that when she had locked the garage door after finding it unlocked it sparked an argument between the victim and defendant, the complaint reads.


According to reports, the victim looked out her window when she noticed the defendant standing there and produced a black handgun and began shooting. The victim retreated into the kitchen fearing she would be struck and told authorities that she had hear 3 pops before he fled the scene in a white van. Officers recovered seven shell casings in the driveway. It was noted in the police reports that there were seven projectiles that struck the home including some inside walls.


The criminal complaint states that Officers with the Mount Pleasant Police Department located the driver and vehicle in their jurisdiction. A pursuit started on 90th and Washington and traveled through other areas of Mount Pleasant, at times the defendant reached speeds of 80 mph and didn’t stop for stop signs. The pursuit ended at 16th and Emmertson when police blocked the defendant from fleeing. The suspect was taken into custody at gunpoint.


When officers searched the vehicle the recovered a 9mm Kel-tec which had the serial number obliterated and several grams of marijuana. When police were able to trace the gun it came back as stolen.