Racine Fire Department rules out improper disposal of charcoal as cause of Loni Lane fire.

RFD logoThe Racine Fire Department issued a press release Thursday afternoon June 4th stating that “In the initial press release, it was stated that improper disposal of charcoal was the cause of the fire. This Bureau no longer believes that was the case.

The fire is still classified accidental.

Investigations are ongoing and an addition press release will be sent out if and when a final determination is made. ”

The original information provided by the Racine Fire Department On May 30th 2015 at 7:33 a.m. the Racine Fire Department responded to 911 calls for a structure fire at the Regency West Apartments located at 2270 Loni Lane.

The fire was caused by the improper disposal of used charcoal. The fire started on the first floor patio and traveled to the unit above. Firefighter personnel extinguished the fire and checked for extension. There is also water damage to the adjoining units. The building is uninhabitable and the occupants are receiving aid from The American Red Cross. The Racine Fire Department estimates that there is $250,000 damage to structure / $75,000 to contents.