Shortly before midnight last night, a tenant at 314 10th st could hear crackling in the walls of the apartment unit. A 911 call was placed and the tenant from the apartment warned other tenants of the fire. All tenants were able to self evacuate. The Racine Fire Department and Racine Police responded
When fire crews arrived on scene they did not see any smoke but observed some heat damage on a wall within an apartment. They removed the plaster from the wall and ceiling and found the fire within the wall. They were able to put the fire out within a few minutes and follow the fire extension into the attic. WE Energies determined that the natural gas should not be turned back on after the fire so all tenants had to be placed into temporary housing. Red Cross assisted the tenants that did not have a place to go. One apartment unit sustained most of the damage but without heat in the building all of the tenants were effected. This is an eight unit apartment building all but one unit had tenants.
There were no injuries and the Racine Fire Department reports that $10,000.00 for structure and $2,500.00 loss for contents. The fire is currently under investigation